Banshee Viento Build: 2x9 to 1x? = SS [Week 08]

Since 2008 I have been riding on a 9 speed drive-train. And to keep myself up to date with the recent technology in cycling I have decided to upgrade to a 1x10 drive-train.

I still do have my ole' trusty Shimano M665 2x9 crankset with 36/22t chainrings on hand, so it won't get pricey doing this upgrade. And so I dropped by Raven Cycles, a shop owned by my friend, Ben Bartolome, a man who has inspired a lot of individuals in my area to cycling since the mid-to-late 1990's. 

So I purchased from him a 34-tooth Narrow Wide Chainring by the brand, "Van Zane".

Van Zane 34 Tooth Narrow Wide Chainring




 I already searched the net for this particular brand, and it returned me zero results. So practically this might be one of those unknown brands from either Taiwan or China, But the quality of this CNC chainring is superb. I'll make a review of this soon as I get to break it in.

As soon as I got home, I got back to my workbench and removed my 36/22t chainrings and replaced it with the Van Zane 34T Narrow Wide Chainring. I didn't get to measure the weight of the before and after the change, but it did weight lighter.



With the lack of Shifters, a 10 speed cassette and an RD, I still couldn't build the Viento into a 1x10. So I opted to have it run on a Single Speed set-up. Good thing I still had my Surly Singleator and DaBomb 9-to-1 SS Converter lying around the house.

So with a tweak here and a wrench there, I got the Banshee Viento up and running as Single Speeder for now.

Here are the photos of the initial build.....

Surly Singleator Chain Tensioner and DaBomb 9-to-1 SS Converter

Weighed the whole rig at 28.4 pounds, rims are darn heavy.



 ....soon it'll be complete as a 1x10 AM/Trail Bike.

==================
SOURCES:

Van Zane 34 Tooth Narrow Wide Chainring
For those in the Philippines looking for a budget Narrow Wide Chainring for you 1x10 or 1x9 set-up. You can purchase one at Raven Cycles, located at 24Q, Malingap st., Teacher's Village, Diliman, Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
or Dial +63(2)434-3933 Look for Ben Bartolome
or visit their online store at: https://www.facebook.com/RavenCycles/

Comments

elektrofietsen said…
I really value your opinion on the recent technology in cycling. Inspiring is great. Keep building and sharing.

Popular Posts