Bunny's Kitchen - Spicy Spirals with Lemon, Garlic and Basil Mushrooms

I used to be vegan.
But because of my previous work with construction I had tried going back to eating meat and such. In a way "nasira ang healthy lifestyle" (the healthy lifestyle was broken)... but somehow being vegan was able to change my palate despite being a filipino (as majority of filipinos love meat, especially sisig, isaw and crispy pata).

Now I'm a pesce-pollotarian, with only fish and chicken the only meat that I can consume (as red meat makes me depressed, 30mins after consumption). And anything vegetarian is still a lovely dish that I'd love to eat.

So yesterday I was inspired by my culinary idol, Nigella Lawson and made a pasta dish for lunch. Its a twist (literally) of her Linguine with Lemon, Garlic and Thyme Pasta. The twists were literal twists, because of being asian I have substituted a lot of the ingredients to my taste and the taste buds of our flatmates.

Instead of Olive Oil, I used Sesame Oil
Instead of Linguine, I went with Spirals

Of course since we had herbs and veggies among the plants in our garden. I had freshly picked cherry tomatoes, basil, thai red chilies and brown mushrooms.

"Sarap"

It was a dish that our flatmates loved! Healthy and savoury. It is a dish that wilp be repeated again soon.

Ingredients
Serves 3-5 hungry asians

- 8 Swiss Brown Mushrooms
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Mixed Sesame Oil
- 110g of Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 small cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 35g ginger (crushed)
- zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- 10 leaves of Fresh Basil
- 750g of Spirals Pasta
- 2 sprigs of Coriander (crushed and ground)
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Thai Chilies (chopped and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method
1. Slice mushrooms finely, and put in a large bowl with oil, salt, crushed garlic, lemon juice and zest, basil leaves and coriander

2. On a sauce pan, pour oil, crushed garlic, crushed ginger and thai chilies. Mix until fragrant. After pour the contents of the bowl and saute until mushrooms for 8-10 mins. Once mushrooms have softened add butter, cook for 5mins before turning the fire off. 

3. Cook pasta according to packet instructions and drain loosely, retaining some water. Quickly put the drained pasta into the bowl with the mushroom mixture.

4. Toss everything together, then add chopped basil, cherry tomatoes, grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste before tossing again. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts