Re-Wind Blogging: August 15, 2009 - When Dad bought his Bike~

August 15, 2009 was the Saturday, Dad bought himself a bike…

Some of you might already know this… DIA (1991 Diamond Back Ascent EX), used to be owned and ridden by my dad, Tony de la Cruz, Jr.

He rode it from 1991 to 1996 and during the year 2000. He was even more hardcore than me. Imagine him taking on Batasan downhill way back then… I know you might think it was easy since its paved… but you’re wrong, back then it wasn’t paved. Its was a steep downhill in rough terrain.

After the year 2000, I rode his bike and took it around UP… it became my personal training machine to improve my endurance and stamina, I wasn’t introduced yet to trail riding and rode it on the road. Then when college came I stopped riding and recently just came back.






Now wait, this shouldn’t be the time reminiscing about the past, the title says “Dad bought his bike…”

Well he did, he had a bike assembled @ Cartimar… he consulted me for the best parts on budget below 60k… of course I won’t suggest a Giant frame and those Shimano XT’s to XTR’s.

Anyhow I suggested those bang-to-the-buck parts, and of course the best place is the shop where I had DIA restored, DS Bike Lander Cyclery @ Cartimar

So here’s the list:

- Kinesis KM310 Medium Frame (in Black and Red, his preferred color)
- SF9 Suntour Epicon 100mm Travel w/ Remote Lockout
- Shimano Deore 2009 STI groupset series w/ Deore 2010 Crankset with Outboard BB
- Shimano Deore 2009 Mechanical Disc Brakes with Centerlock Hubs and Rotors
- a pair of Mavic X223 Rims with Stainless Spokes and Nipples
- a pair of folding Kenda Nevegals 2.3 DTC
- Thomson 25.4 Elite Stem
- ABR 6061 XC Riser Bar
- ABR 6061 Short Bar Ends
- Specialized Black Lock-On grips
- DaBomb standard seat post
- Zoom QR seat clamp
- Wellgo PC90 Plastic Platform Pedals
- Schwinn Comfort Cruiser Saddle (he wanted a soft-gelled saddle that was big)
- a pair of Toxic Inner Tubes and an extra reserve tube

Of course he also ended up buying other stuff

- MET Helmet (I was supposed to opt him into buying an MOB Helmet that has been proven tough by most cyclists)

- Giant Saddle Bag (there was no Topeak)

- Turbolite Half-finger Gel gloves (he dislikes full-fingered gloves that offer more protection)

- Zefal Tire Levers

- MOB Tire Pump (Giyo’s actually cheaper by a 100)

- Zefal water bottle with cap (believe me, not worth the buy, still smells like rubber)

And how much was the total for everything? It’s 44,310 pesos. More than 15,000 pesos of savings. Than what he was expecting.

So here's how the bike looks like currently (photo taken last August 23, 2009):


Dad's new rig... and DIA's new cousin~



SF9 Suntour Epicon 100mm with Remote Lockout
(my dream fork, sadly no v-brake bosses)




Thomson 25.4 stem with ABR 6016 Handlebar standard size




Deore 2010 Crankset with Outboard BB


So what did I end up buying? I just had my rims re-aligned, as well as my front tire changed to a Continental Speed King 2.1 to match my old Continental Edge 1.9 rear… I’ll post a review regarding this XC Marathon combo as soon as I have taken these to the trails.


So what’s the conclusion on Dad’s new bike? We’ll know once he takes it out for a spin on the next day.

You might also notice: Ergon GC3 grips are installed... why? Dad's now a new victim of the Upgraditis virus... he replaced his Specialized Lock-on Grips and ABR Bar Ends with an Ergon GC3... the influence? Is actually me... he was fascinated with its comfort. But mind you these pictures were taken a week after he bought his bike... and also the replacement took place after taking his rig out for two rides.

He's selling the Specialized Lock-On Grips and ABR Bar Ends bundled @ 600 pesos... I'll be posting it tomorrow @ PMTB and Philmofo, and see if someone wants it. But if you need it... feel free to text me @ 0918-9244277 (Philippines only)

Comments

Popular Posts